Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Reality Check





What are my interests? What’s my ambition? These questions always troubled me from my college days (I guess no one has asked these questions in my school) when I was trying to prepare the resume for the placements. And it continued to trouble all the way throughout my job and even during my MBA. I am literally confused. It took 29 years for Gautama Buddha to look for the self realisation concept, am just 24. Long time left for me to go. But were there competition during that time? With no MBAs, no summer internships, no recession, no IIT grading and no ranking at any places he had the luxury of waiting till 29 years. Anyway let me try to find the answers to these questions. Let it be a reality check - a humble effort to reinvent myself.

People don’t get convinced easily with a truthful answer. And no one expect it to be in that way for the above questions. I am crazy about watching movies (everyone in the world likes that), I like blogging (with less than 10 blogs how can you tell that?), trekking (oh..poor boy..less than 5 treks), swimming(still unable to complete 50m stretch in one shot ah?), sleeping (no one wants the element of truth), eating, online gaming (hey! Are you listening?) – People frown at me for these replies and promptly counter me with their next questions. These interests changes with time. I believe I have moved a long way from a boy who liked Prince of Persia to NFS Undercover.

Ambition is another loggerhead. I really wanted to be a police man when I was young (may be the cap or the whistle might have played the trick), then I wanted to be a driver (cool job, at least you can visit lots of places), it changed to air force pilot (serving the nation factor), then to some job where I can earn more and become rich. At some point of time I even wanted to become the President of India (thought I will get whatever I want). This list went on and on. Later the options were converged to two – doctor or engineer (socially accepted norms which later the family enforced on me) on which I am an electrical engineer (hated to be a doctor as blood puts me off), worked in IT services sector, with domain experience in telecom with more knowledge in Java than in power electronics. And here am trying to reinvent myself and chisel my ambition plans by doing MBA (yeah...I know I haven’t answered the question yet. I just wanted to be successful, rich and famous. Am I asking too much?).

Sounds like a defective product? Am I the odd one out in the crowd? Don’t know. But that’s what I am.



6 comments:

  1. No you are not! You are 1 among millions!! 99% of people who claim they ve a single ambition in mind are just bluffing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U r one among the million mango people ... engineer doctor and mba is not your ambition .. it is just the social pressure made u set them as ur goal...and in that process u simply forget your NFS Stone Vehical and all .... and people like u and me will remain as the mango people as we are succumb to social pressure .. unlike steve jobs bill gates ..and even Buddha ..they r those who do wat they r suppose to do and not forced to do things .. and they love to do wat they do ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea...its same with almost all....Everybody wants to enjoy life for which they need money......Everybody dreams about becoming rich & famous....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just a common man who is ambitious. As you said self realization is something which majority of the mankind lacks. Only someone with proper vision and set goals in life can achieve something. But, its human nature to alter the goals. At the end it is luxury that drive us to become rich in which ever way possible..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thoughts guys!! These things seems quite inevitable.

    @Anurodh: Yeah, am a DoMSian now. No doubt.

    ReplyDelete